Unit Based Leadership Team (UBLT)
The Hospital Medicine Unit-Based Leadership Team ("UBLT") is a multi-disciplinary team of clinical operations and quality improvement leaders. We collaboratively work to continuously improve the quality, safety, and value of care for hospitalized adult patients on three inpatient units (14 Moffitt, 14 Long, and 15 Long) at the UCSF Hellen Diller Medical Center at Parnassus Heights.
The UBLT develops and sustains multiple initiatives to meet UCSF Health's "True North Pillars" in delivering the best patient care possible on our three units. Core efforts focus on preventing hospital-acquired patient harms, improving patient experience, and eliminating health care disparities. The UBLT has a track record of implementing novel care programs on our three units that are subsequently disseminated to units across UCSF Health. The UBLT utilizes proven implementation science methodologies to sustain its continuous improvement work.
Core and Supporting UBLT Members
The UBLT's efforts are driven by a dedicated Medical Director, Improvement Specialist, and the nursing Unit Directors on 14 Moffitt, 14 Long, and 15 Long:
- Medical Director: Smitha Ganeshan
- Improvement Specialist: Rachel Luke
- 14 Moffitt Unit Director: Alexis Glasauer
- 14 Moffitt Assistant Unit Director: Kurt Refuerzo
- 14 Long Unit Director: James Darby
- 14 Long Assistant Unit Directors: Jessica Jones and Ammaad Terry
- 15 Long Unit Director: James Darby
- 15 Long Assistant Unit Directors: Mailah Umali and Monica Riley
The UBLT meets weekly and is supported by frequent input and collaboration from operational and quality improvement leaders across UCSF Health and the Division of Hospital Medicine (DHM). Our key partners notably include: UCSF’s Health Chief Medical Officer and Chief Nursing Officer; Acute Care and Transitional Care Patient Care Directors; DHM's Chiefs of Clinical and Academic Affairs; DHM's Quality Improvement, Value Improvement, and Patient Safety medical directors; DHM’s service line medical directors; and key Case Management, Social Work, and Pharmacy leadership.
Highlighted Current Efforts
Key current efforts focus on:
- "Zero harm" efforts (elimination of CAUTIs, CLABSIs, C. diff, pressure Injuries, and falls with Injury)
- What matters most to the patient
- Everyone working together to care for the patient
- Physician to RN communication
- Length-of-stay and throughput improvement
- Skilled Nursing Facility discharges and documentation
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion training for care providers and staff
- Trauma-informed and anti-racist security responses to patient behavioral events
How Can I Get Involved?
If you are interested in learning more about the Hospital Medicine UBLT (joining a meeting or contributing to current projects), please do not hesitate to contact our Medical Director, Smitha Ganeshan at [email protected] and Improvement Specialist, Rachel Luke at [email protected].
True North Goals
UCSF Health's True North Pyramid
View the strategic priorities of our True North Pillars on our pyramid here, along with our Mission, Vision, and Values.