Social Medicine Core
The goal of Social Medicine Core is to develop a group of DHM faculty and staff to engage in dialogue, identify gaps, and design solutions around issues of equity, advocacy, diversity, and inclusion that impacts our patients, learners, and ourselves.
Below are endeavors that seek to improve clinical outcomes, advocacy, community partnerships, and research by addressing the social, cultural, and structural determinants of patients’ health.
Policy and Advocacy
- Faculty Development around health policy
- Official DHM stances on policy issues and suggestions for advocacy involvement
Care for Vulnerable Populations and Healthcare Disparities
- Partnering with the UCSF Health Equity Council to address healthcare disparities for patients with Limited English Proficiency
- Sampling of Current DHM Efforts:
- Health Equity Bundle: Nancy Choi, Sneha Daya
- Harbor Lights: Nancy Choi, Nick Iverson
- Addiction Medicine Consult Service: Sujatha Sankaran
- Justice Project: Rupa Marya
- Inpatient Health Disparities: Yalda Shahram
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Incorporating equity into the mission of the DHM
- Requiring a statement on diversity for all DHM applicants
- Promoting faculty training in DEI via Differences Matter ENACT
- Faculty Development around DEI
DHM's Commitment to Anti-Racism
DHM supports the American Medical Association’s recent policy announcement recognizing racism and police brutality as public health threats. We also stand in solidarity with our Asian American and Pacific Islander community against the rise in Anti-Asian hate and violence. We are committed to promoting health equity and justice by combating racism in our clinical care, research, and education, and in the practice of hospital medicine nationwide.
We realize supporting this movement means taking a look at what our role in anti-racism is through hospital medicine, and we are committed to doing this work.
For more information, please contact:
Archna Eniasivam, Director at [email protected]
Sirisha Narayana, Co-founder at [email protected]
Sarah Schaeffer, Co-founder at [email protected]